Caesarea in the Bible is a small town near the waters of the Jordan, famous in the Hellenistic age for a cave (from which the Jordan flows). It was dedicated to Pan, therefore also called Πανιάς, hence the Arabic form of today’s Bāniyā’s village. Donated by Augustus to Herod the Great, it was enlarged by his son Filippo tetrarch dell’Iturea and called Caesarea in honor of Augustus.
According to the Gospel, he made the profession of faith to St. Peter. Caesarea in the Bible, became the episcopal seat (in the 4th century). And Caesarea fell (in the 7th century) into the hands of the Arabs. Therefore, Caesarea in the Bible was conquered in 1130 by the Crusaders.
Caesarea in the Bible, is located south of Mount Carmel. It was Herod the Great who undertook to build it. Between 22 and 9 BC, Herod ordered a series of constructions. (In addition to the port and its facilities, we can mention a temple, a theater, and a hippodrome. An aqueduct and a theater) to make Caesarea in the Bible the central city of his kingdom. Caesarea becomes the most critical part of Palestine. In the 1960s, the only archaeological proof of the existence of Pontius Pilate was found in Caesarea: his name was engraved on a stone.